Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Rant of the Week

On the annoyances of not having access to the internet and trying to write a review

It’s kind of crazy how much we use the internet in our lives now if you think about it. I’m sitting here trying to think of how to start a review on the movie “The Quantum of Solace” for our local paper, and I’m getting absolutely nowhere. Why? Well, first of all, the movie was awful. It was action packed, but it had no plot. It was just about Bond’s shallow struggle with revenge, and he killed everyone interesting anyway. But probably the biggest problem that I’m having is not being able to go online. There’s a word I’m trying to think of, one that means “no consequences”, in reference to James Bond’s killing habits, but I can’t think of it and my phone modem is down, so there’s no thesaurus.com to look it up. I guess I could go find a hard copy of a dictionary (do we even own one?) but I would have no idea what word to look for. I need Google even to tell me one possiblility of a word, because you can’t just go typing in “no consequences” in the thesaurus box. Also, a review should probably have a reference to what other people around the world think of the movie, like online polls, box office sales, or critic’s ratings, and I don’t have access to any of that information without my internet. The movie was really bad though, so it’s not like I can’t guess what everyone else thought of it. But still…

This has been the “Rant of the Day” with the editor

No comments: